Scheduling & Fees
At BDRS, we try to make the scheduling and intake process, and our fee structure, as simple, efficient, and transparent as possible. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to Contact us.
Mediations, conciliations, and business facilitations are scheduled for either half-day 0f four hours or full-day sessions of eight hours. Case evaluations are scheduled for either half-day sessions of three hours or full-day sessions of six hours .
In addition, BDRS now offers a ShortSession mediation for personal or small-business disputes involving two parties and an amount in controversy of less than $10,000. Each ShortSession includes up to two hours of time for a modest flat fee, with additional time available at a reduced hourly rate.
Where parties are represented by counsel sessions are typically held at the office of counsel for one of the parties. Where neither side has counsel, or where the parties cannot agree on an office, the session can be held at some other location, with room charges, if any, to be divided
equally among the parties.
How to schedule
Please click on the calendar image below (or where it appears on other pages) to review available dates and schedule a session using our online booking system.
Parties are welcome to call BDRS to schedule a date if they are unable to access online booking, but will likely find the online process to be the most immediate and efficient way to schedule a session.
If you need a particular date, but it shows as unavailable, please send BDRS an email noting your desired date; we are usually able to rearrange schedules to accommodate parties with particular date requirements.
For information about what happens after a booking request is submitted, including when sessions are confirmed, please see What Happens Next.
BDRS uses a simple fee structure for its standard dispute resolution services, where each party pays a flat fee based upon the total number of parties and the scheduled duration of the session. There are no additional fees for time spent on introductory phone calls, standard preparation for a session, or follow-up phone calls. Fees for evening (starting at or after 4:00 p.m.) or weekend sessions are ten percent higher than the rates stated below.
BDRS is pleased to offer these competitive fees in order to make its services cost-effective for a wide range of disputes.
Two or three parties
Half-day: $ 750 per party | Full-day: $ 1,300 per party
Four or more parties
Half-day: $ 625 per party | Full-day: $ 1,100 per party
Fees for extraordinary preparation time due to voluminous documents submitted by the parties, the hourly rate for sessions that extend beyond the allotted time, and other non-standard arrangements will be included in the written ADR agreement.
Information regarding travel expenses for in-state sessions held outside the Greater Boston area is available upon request and will be included in the ADR agreement. (“In-state” includes all of Massachusetts, and portions of neighboring states within 50 driving miles of downtown Boston.) Information regarding fees and travel expenses for out-of-state or overseas sessions is available upon request and will be included in the ADR agreement.
Rescheduling & cancellation
- There is no charge to reschedule a confirmed session if (1) there are at least 14 days between the date of the request to reschedule and the date of the confirmed session, (2) the party seeking to reschedule has obtained one or more agreed new dates from all parties, and (3) the new date is within of the original date.
- Otherwise, there is an administrative fee of $250 for matters involving fewer than four parties and $500 for matters involving four or more parties, which is immediately due and payable from the party requesting the cancellation.
- If a session is cancelled with more than 30 days between the date of the request to cancel and the date of the confirmed session then fees paid will be refunded, less an administrative fee of $ 50 per party.
- If a session is cancelled with fewer than 30 days but more than 15 days between the date of the request to cancel and the date of the confirmed session then 75 percent of fees paid will be refunded.
- If a session is cancelled with fewer than 15 days but more than 3 days between the date of the request to cancel and the date of the confirmed session then 50 percent of fees paid will be refunded.
- If a session is cancelled with three or fewer days between the date of the request to cancel and the date of the confirmed session then no fees will be refunded.
* These procedures do not apply to divorce or ShortSession mediations.
Arbitration and Insurance References
Fees are based upon an hourly rate agreed among the arbitrators or referees, which will generally be in line with the rates reflected here for a full day session for a like number of parties. Travel and other expenses are billed at cost.